Our Green Initiative
Bear Board maintains the highest standards for ecological conservation in both its business practices and its product development. We understand that environmental activism and the creation of sustainable technologies is not just a fad—it’s the future.
Our green initiatives reflect our commitment to providing our customers with durable, classic-looking alternatives to traditional wood and wood-composite products. HDPE (high density polyethylene), the plastic used to make Bear Board, creates no harmful emissions—either during its production or as it is used by the consumer. Re-use of waste plastic is preferable to the creation of new plastic and the addition of old plastic to the waste stream, which is why at least 50% of the plastic we use in our manufacturing process is recycled plastic, with at least 10% coming from the post-consumer waste stream. Our product is still one of the most environmentally friendly products available, and all of the plastic material in our lumber is recyclable at the end of its use.
Additionally—in today’s market—it is all too easy for companies and marketers to make unsubstantiated claims regarding the environmental-sustainability or “green” nature of a product. Because we value integrity and honesty, all of our green claims are simple and backed up with facts. We will never mislead you regarding the amount of recycled content in our product or the environmental impact of our manufacturing process.
Our ultimate goal is to provide you with a high-quality, cost-effective product that will last for years, with as little negative impact on the environment as possible.
Our Green Initiatives:
In our products…
- Our product is non-toxic and poses no threat to your health.
- Our product is made with post-consumer recycled materials.
- All of our recycled plastic is reusable and recyclable.
- No greenhouse gases are released during the production or use of our products.
- Our recycled plastic products contain no wood, therefore reducing deforestation.
- No PVCs or BPAs that can harm the environment are used in our product.
- No organic fills are used. We use natural mineral fill material for added board strength.
- No chemical treatments are required to clean our product.
In our business practices…
- We develop and manufacture an environmentally responsible product.
- We encourage recycling through the creation of our product. We prevent pollution by diverting plastic from the solid waste stream and keeping this non-degradable material out of our landfills.
- We strive to educate our customers, colleagues and local community members on the importance of plastic recycling, our manufacturing process, and the benefits of using our products.
- We insist on energy efficient office/factory management, and all of our team members participate in reducing office waste and energy usage.
- All of our marketing materials are printed on recycled paper.
- Engineered Plastic Systems, LLC is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council, and was recognized as having the Most Environmentally Preferable Product by the Healthy Building Network.
In our factory and offices…
- Recycled or recyclable materials are used in our packaging whenever possible.
- All raw materials that come into our factory are used. Lower quality products are ground and remanufactured or resold as such.
- Fluorescent lighting is used throughout our factory and our offices.
- Skylights throughout our factory allow for natural lighting during daytime hours.
- Heat from our machinery is used to help heat our factory during winter months.
- Ceiling fans are used to efficiently heat and cool our offices and factory.
- All water used in our manufacturing process is on a “closed loop” system to minimize water usage.
- Our factory operates 24 hours per day, 5 days per week to minimize the electrical energy needed to start up our machinery.
- Programmable “kick-down” thermostats are used throughout our offices.
- Zoned heating throughout the factory allows us to heat only the areas that are occupied.
- We utilize environmentally-friendly cleaning products throughout the factory and offices.
- All office documents and sales materials are printed on recycled paper.
- All trash is separated and sent to local recyclers.
Recycled plastic lumber for your green office projects.